The Redwood has relied on the support of volunteers since its beginning, and it continues to welcome volunteers to share in its vision of supporting women and children to live free from abuse.
More than 70 individual volunteers support the ongoing programming and activities of The Redwood on an active basis. The Redwood recognizes the reciprocal nature of the relationship between the agency and individual volunteers and is committed to providing a volunteer program that meets both the needs of volunteers and the organization as a whole.
Volunteer positions may include (depending on current needs):
- Volunteering with Children and Youth (tutoring, children’s program, child care)
- Volunteering with our Fundraising Team (administration, events, in-kind donations and outreach)
- Volunteering with our Community Outreach Team (supporting workshops, community outreach)
- Volunteering with women (supporting with ESL, facilitating workshops)
- Volunteering in our Resident Services Office (administration support, responding to needs of clients) (summer only)
- Corporate Volunteering
The First Step
The first step to becoming a volunteer at The Redwood is to apply online using our online form. If you have successfully passed the interview and screening stages including a vulnerable sector police records check and reference check, you will be invited to attend a volunteer orientation prior to beginning your placement.
We have two yearly periods in which new volunteer applications are accepted, for placements to begin in either September or March. Please note we are not able to respond to volunteer inquiries outside of the recruitment periods.